Monday, April 26, 2010

Minty's Silverlake Fish Taco Crawl

It didn’t take long for me to decide to go on the Minty’s Silverlake Fish Crawl last Sunday since I live nearby, and she only had five taco stands on her list…now if she had seven taco stands…To ensure that I could finish the crawl, I biked it. Most of the taco stands were not more than a mile a part.
Best Fish Taco in Ensenada
The Best Fish Taco in Ensenada was our first stop. I go here when I’m indecisive since they only offer fish or shrimp taco. I am allergic to shrimp. The kitchen is right in front of you with two deep fryers.
Best Fish Taco in Ensenada
Their drinks list is a short list as well. The horchata too sweet for me, and they use brown rice. I prefer their jimica –sweet but it’s not like drinking a sugar cane. Here’s a picture of their toppings bar.
Best Fish Taco in Ensenada
There’s indoor seating but when it’s warm the patio is the place to be. If they just serve margarita it would be like you’re in Ensenada, Mexico.
Best Fish Taco in Ensenada
I am told traditional fish tacos from Ensenada are deep-fried topped with cabbage and salsa on a corn tortilla. Their fish taco is ok. I can’t really complain since it’s only a buck. Shrimp tacos are two bucks.
Best Fish Taco in Ensenada
Ricky’s Fish Tacos was our next spot. Ricky’s is located at Sunset Junction in the “cactus” garden. My first time at Ricky’s was a nightmare. I vouched not to go again…but then since it was on Minty’s list…WOW, what an improvement! Orders are processed much faster since they give you a number when you ordered now; it also helped that he had two helpers. They had two propanes this time so there was no mixing of the shrimp with the fish. The only thing that was missing was the lime. Oh you have to follow Ricky on Twitter to know his hours.
Ricky’s Fish Tacos
The drink stand is a new thing too. They offered two aqua frescas..
Ricky’s Fish Tacos
One was some kind of passion fruit…
Ricky’s Fish Tacos
The other was some kind of orange fresca…
Ricky’s Fish Tacos
I went with the Passion fruit and it beat the jimaca.
Ricky’s Fish Tacos
The fish taco tasted much better this time around. It’s amazing how your mood affects the taste of the food...their fish taco was the most expensive - $2.50 but so worth it!
Ricky’s Fish Tacos
Tacos Delta was our 3rd stop.
Tacos Delta
There’s an outdoor patio in the back.
Tacos Delta
There fish taco came with lettuce instead of cabbage. It cost $2.25.
Tacos Delta
It was too battered for me –like a Van de Kamp’s fish stick.
Tacos Delta
Our fourth stop was El 7 Mares.
El 7 Mares

El 7 Mares
Out of the five stops, this was the only one that has a parking lot.
El 7 Mares
Their fish taco was the lightest one out of the fried ones. I was surprised that it costs $2.29. I used to live across the street in '98, and I think it used to cost a buck? But then again, the studio cost $400 at the time and it now costs $900/month?
El 7 Mares
Las Glorias Del Buen Corner was the finale. Their fish tacos are grilled instead of fried like the others. The wait was the longest –yeah, longer than Ricky’s. Fish taco costs $2.25.



Las Glorias Del Buen Corner
Las Glorias Del Buen Corner
I had ordered a fish taco…but instead they gave me a shrimp taco. I took a bite on the verge of swallowing it until I saw the shrimp! Ah!!!!! I just started spitting everything out of my mouth and made a mad dash to outside where I would I rinse my mouth. I don’t know why I didn’t noticed the shrimp earlier…I took several pictures of it too…I guess the orange onxy through me off …
Las Glorias Del Buen Corner
I felt terrible for the poor fella who sat in front of me and had to witness my meal coming out…hmm…yum. Needless to say I didn’t like their fish taco... What a way to end the fish crawl!

So here’s my vote of the best fish taco stands in order:

1) Ricky’s Fish Tacos
4006 Santa Monica Blvdl, LA, CA 90029
Stalk here

2)Best Fish Tacos in Ensenada
Hillhurst Ave, LA, CA 90027
(323) 466-5552

3) El 7 Mares
3131 W Sunset Blvd, LA, CA 90026
(323) 665-0865

4) Tacos Delta
3806 W Sunset Blvd, LA, CA 90026
(323) 664-2848

5) Las Glorias Del Buen Corner
620 Silver Lake Blvd, LA, CA 90026
(213) 484-9090

Share Share

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails