Thursday, April 29, 2010

Tara's Himalayan Cuisine

Tara's Himalayan Cuisine
I’ve always wanted to try one of the ethnic restaurants on Venice Blvd. so I was happy to see Tara’s Himalayan Cuisine on my foodie group’s monthly outing. Parking was a bit of a nightmare. They have a small parking lot but it was full. Our group was pretty big and some daredevils parked at Ralphs! There’s nothing fancy about Tara’s restaurant but their food. This restaurant was hopping on a Wednesday night. There was a wait for a table around 8.
Tara's Himalayan Cuisine
G & M organized an amazing ten-eleven course dinner for $25 including drinks, tax and tip! Killer deal! I just wished they told us what dish they brought out…I believe we started with Paratha. It’s the only “crisp” bread I see on the menu. Oddly this was the spiciest item on the list…
Tara's Himalayan Cuisine
I ordered a strawberry Lassi. I am told that mango Lassi is the traditional one but I prefer strawberries over mangos. It was good, not too sweet.
Tara's Himalayan Cuisine
The Pakoras (“lightly battered delicately spiced and deep fried veg oil”) tasted like Samosas.
Tara's Himalayan Cuisine
Next came out the chicken Momos and vegetable Momos with fresh tomato achaar.
Momo = dumplings. They were tasty.
Tara's Himalayan Cuisine
The green beans with himalayan spices were delicious. It was definitely one of my favorite dishes of the night.
Tara's Himalayan Cuisine
The garlic tofu (vegetarian) was good. It could use more garlic though.
Tara's Himalayan Cuisine
The Khotey momo panfried chicken served with fresh tomato achaar was my favorite dish. I could eat this again!
Tara's Himalayan Cuisine
I believe this is a picture of the chicken curry….the lamb curry looks the same thing. I didn’t try the lamb curry but the chicken curry was ai-ght. It wasn’t spicy and went well with the rice.
Tara's Himalayan Cuisine
The Aloo bodi tama (“bamboo shoots, potato and black eyed peas with himalayan spices “) was an interesting dish...it's a vegetarian dish.
Tara's Himalayan Cuisine
The Yak chilli was ok. The yak meat was chewy and slightly dry. It tasted like beef…jerky. I was glad that it wasn't spicy.
Tara's Himalayan Cuisine
The Gulab jamun (“sweet custard balls made with milk and cream, dipped in sugar water”) tasted like baklava. I ate half a ball and it was enough for me.
Tara's Himalayan Cuisine

Overall, I had a great time at Tara's Himalayan Cuisine, and Tara is a sweetheart! I'll definitely be back!

Address: 10855 Venice Blvd, LA, CA 90034
Phone#: (310) 836-9696
Share Share

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails