Sunday, April 25, 2010

Mikawaya

It was the third night before my intern departed for home, Turkey, and when I found out that she has never had a mochi, I knew I had to take her Mikawaya in Little Tokyo. It recently turned a100 years old and is more known for their pastries, but I always go there for their $1.00 mochi ice cream. It’s the perfect dessert –cheap and guiltless unless you eat ten of them…for those who don’t know what a mochi is like my intern, it’s a round Japanese rice cake dessert stuffed with red beans, fruit, or ice cream.
Mikawaya
You can’t help but smile when you enter Mikawaya. They have two kinds of frozen mochis- mochi ice cream and mochi-lato (gelato). I am still trying to figure out the difference between ice cream and gelato. Obviously gelato looks different but my taste buds can’t differentiate.
DSC00640
We shared a strawberry, green tea, vanilla, chocolate and mango mochi ice creams (from best to ok). The staff let us tried a green tea mochi-lato, which was less sweet and the green tea flavor was stronger. It didn’t taste creamier than the green tea ice cream...

If you’re in Little Tokyo stop by Mikaway, you can’t go wrong.

Address: 118 Japanese Village Plaza Mall, LA, CA 90012
Phone#: (213) 624-1681
Share Share

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails