Saturday, April 18, 2009

COLORADO WINE COMPANY

DSC06968
Jesus is a wino.

It’s true. His parables are about wine and he likes to turn water into wine. I wished I had that gift…I thought it was very fitting to go wine tasting at Colorado Wine Company in celebrating Jesus’ resurrection on Easter Sunday with a couple of my friends. Every Sundays CWC has a lazy Sunday wine tasting from 1 to 4pm, but might extend pending on number of tasters for $12/person. You get to try four bottles of whatever they feel like, and that’s why they called it a “lazy” Sunday.

If you’re a KCRW member, you get 10% off the wine tasting and on any purchases. Once you pay up front, in the store area, you pick up an animal as proof of payment and head back to the small bar area in the back where the wine tasting is held.
DSC06969
I couldn't find a hippo, so I had to settle for a cow..
DSC06970
The space is smaller than 55 Degrees. Crackers, cheese and fruit is prepared by Auntie Em's Kitchen. Auntie Em knows how to pick her cheese! Delicious!
DSC06971
We started with the Sensation Fournier Sauvignon Blanc 2007, Loire, France ($12.99/btl); I forgot to take a picture of that bottle.
DSC06974
Next up, the Veit Piesporter Spatlese Riesling 2007, Masel, Germany ($21.99/btl).
DSC06977
Muga Seleccion Especial Rioja 2004, Rioja, Spain ($45.99/btl).
DSC06981
Alcione Aglianico 2004, Puglia, Italy ($17.99 btl).
DSC06983

DSC06982
Drew our host was great; he let us also sampled two other wine from the other night. I’ll admit I wasn’t crazy for any of the wine we tried… my other friends enjoyed some of the wines. I’m picky. Actually, I do recall the riesling. My friend said it's more of a German riesling where it's sweet. I normally hate riesling for that reason, but what's different is that it has a bitter finish to offset the sweetness. I hope my three purchased bottles that the staff recommended are good…I bought a CWC gift card when KCRW was doing its fundraising drive.

I’ll have to come back and try their wine tasting on Wednesday. They don’t offer cheese that day, but you can order a slice of pizza from Brownstone Pizzeria (a few doors down from CWC).

Address: 2114 Colorado Blvd Los Angeles, CA 90041
Phone#: (323) 478-1985
Rating: 3.5 out of 5
Share Share

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails