Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Canele

I did something really stupid.

I have to lose 10 lbs to fit into a dress for a wedding by March 20th, so I ate the worst food possible for brunch on Sunday. Canele's famous thick French toast. I know, I'm screwed. On top of it, I'm a bit under the weather, so I haven't really been working out. So screwed.

The first time I was at Canele was earlier this year with Minty but we went for dinner. Food was great, but I was still sad that I didn't get to taste their French toast. Hence, when my friend Annie suggested brunch at Canele's after church, before our jewelry class, how was I going to say no?

I was concerned that there was going to be a long wait since they dont' take reservation, but to our luck, we were seated immediately. It was destiny.

It amazes me how many staff there are in the tiny, open kitchen. The restaurant is not very big. I do love their big table in the front, which can probably seat 8. We sat at 2 top in the back.

I really enjoy eating with Annie; she loves family style and there's nothing best then trying everything. However since she's unemployed (if you know of any editor who needs an assistant, let me know) and I...need to lose 10 lbs, we just ordered the thick French Toast w/ poached prunes and mascarpone and the bacon and egg-fried farro w/ mustard green and siracha.

You know when it's Christmas morning and you're hoping to get what you want? Well I actually don't know since my family never celebrated Christmas but I imagine that's what it would be like...Christmas came very early. Canele's French toast was scrumptious, and to our surprise the poached prunes went well with it. In the summer/fall time, Canele's French toast comes with figs.

DSC00276

Annie picked the bacon and egg-fried farro w/ mustard green and siracha for our "egg" dish. I must be frank, I was a bit disappointed. I think the bacon was too fancy for me; it lacked the ghetto, salty, crispy fried taste that I love bacon so much for. The farro was oilier than the bacon! Annie swore that it's all about adding the siracha into the dish, but I don't do spicy flavors. I would have been happier just eating the fried egg.

DSC00280

No complaints about the service. I'll have to try their burrata beet salad next time..mmm...burrata...beet...yum...

Do I regret digesting the French toast? Ask me again on March 20th....


Address: 3219 Glendale Blvd, Los Angeles, CA 90039
Phone#: (323) 666-7133
Share Share

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails