Friday, March 26, 2010

Artesa Winery

Artesa Winery
After (cough) eating breakfast for four hours at the Carneros Inn…it was now time to get my drinks on in wine country. I’m not a wine connoisseur but I’m picky, love wine, have a high tolerance, and more importantly I am one of those lucky Asians whose face does not turn red when consuming alcohol. My face turns red when I work out.
Artesa Winery
A group of us headed to Artesa. Since you had to make reservations if you’re a party of 8 or more, we’d pretended to not know each other. Actually Artesa were fine about us not making reservation but that could be because it’s not peak season in wine country.
Artesa Winery
Artesa is one of the nicer wine tasting locations. It’s on a hilltop so it offers a stunning view of the Napa Valley.
Artesa Winery
Since I needed to work off my meal…I took the stairs to the building…instead of the elevator, which is really only meant for handicaps /elders. Apparently Artesa is not only known for their wine in the area, but also for their love of art. You will find their artist in residence; Gordon Huether’s art displayed.

Artesa Winery
Artesa Winery
Artesa Winery
On Sunday, there were two wine tasting options: Artesa Classic for $10 or Artesa Limited Release for $15. I went for the Limited Release, and here were my wines:
2008 Artesa Limited Release Sauvignon Blanc, Napa Valley. $24 /bottle
My comments: fruity, not as dry as I hope, ok
2007 Artesa Estate Reserve Chardonnay, Carneros $26/ bottle
My comments: oaky & smoky taste. Don’t buy.
2007 Artesa Estate Reserve Pinot Noir, Carneros $40/ bottle
My comments: Bitter finish. Light. Don’t buy.
2005 Artesa Limited Release Merlot, Napa Valley $60/ bottle
My comments: smoky, gross
2006 Artesa Limited Release Cabernet Sauvignon, Napa Valley $52.50/ bottle
My comments: light, meh.
As you can see from my notes…er...when I’m sampling, I just want to know if I like it or not. I’m not going to get into the wine description, when I already have a description printed out for me. Had I wanted to purchase any of the bottles at the premise, I would have saved myself 25% with the "Club Artesa" rate.
Artesa Winery
Oh, once you've paid for the tasting, you go into another room where the pourers are. The set up is like a stand up bar. Best to take your wine outside where chairs are and enjoy the view. I’ve come to conclusion that you are paying for the view at Artesa. The wine sux at Artesa.

Address: 1345 Henry Rd., Napa, CA 94559
Phone#: (707) 224-1668
Share Share

3 comments:

  1. Hi HH. Thanks for visiting Artesa recently and for sharing your great photos and your experience.

    Glad you liked the views and the art, while not liking the wines so much. Hope you consider returning and maybe giving the wines another chance. Of all the dozens of artisan, handcrafted wines we make, surely there is something there you'd like. Or maybe back in LA, you might try an Artesa bottle found at a Ralph's, Pavilions, Whole Foods or Bevmo. Our newly released 2008 Classic Carneros Chardonnay is balanced with just a touch of oak and butter with lots of fruit and crispness. And for $20 a bottle ($15 for wine club members, as you alluded to), it's a great value.

    At any rate, hope you give our wines another look/taste. (By the way, I'm also one of those Asians who doesn't get red due to alcohol consumption.)

    Cheers,
    Kevin, Artesa Winery
    (877) 224-8309
    Follow us on Facebook: www.facebook.com/artesawinery
    Follow us on Twitter: twitter.com/clubartesa
    Follow us on Shutterfly: clubartesa.shutterfly.com
    Follow our blog: artesawinery.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks for the suggestion! i will try the 2008 Classic Carneros Chardonnay. butter and crispness sound good.

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh, it is great that we don't get red when we drink!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails