Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Ad Hoc

Ad Hoc
Can I have a drum roll please? I’ve finally dined at a Thomas Keller’s restaurant!!! Bouchon Bakery really doesn’t count since it’s just pastries and sweets and there’s no sit-down area. If Ad Hoc existed during Jesus’ life, He would have had his last supper there. After being crushed missing our reservation last, last Friday, we were determined to dine at Ad Hoc last, last Sunday. The funny thing about missing our reservation, and a blessing, was that Ad Hoc’s menu for that day was: Bibb Lettuce and Frisee Salad with Fried Barbeque Oysters, Chicken and Sausage Jambalaya, French Laguiole, and Lemon Pound Cake. I don’t like oysters, I’m allergic to crustacean, I have no clue what "Laguiole" is, and lemon desserts are not my favorite. Oh, God… has such a great sense of humor when He wants to teach me a lesson on patience…

Since Nat’s flight was at 8:50 and the drive back to SF was an hour, we arrived at Ad Hoc ten minutes before five when it opened. We didn’t have reservations, but they take walk-ins at the bar. Oh, I forgot to explain that Ad Hoc changes its menu every day. You can find their daily menus on Twitter or their website. They are closed on Tuesdays and Wednesdays, and on Sundays they offer bunch for $39. Apparently you can order the food a la carte at the bar, but we wanted the whole experience so it costs $49 for the pre-fixe dinner which is a bargain to Keller’s French Laundry $250 pre-fixe dinner (granted that has like 11 more dishes…).

I was so excited about dining at Ad Hoc that I took pictures of their parking lot and bathroom:
Ad Hoc's parking lot
Only one bathroom for each sex!
Ad Hoc's bathroom
I know, I know, I am such a dork, but it’s Ad Hoc! The restaurant is simple. Let me start over, the exterior is really ugly but that just made the interior nicer.
Ad Hoc
When you walk in you see the bar to the right.
Ad Hoc
I think there’s about 10 bar chairs? To the back / right back and left you had the dining areas.
Ad Hoc

Ad Hoc
The dress code is nice casual. We didn’t mind sitting at the bar.
Ad Hoc
Dan the bartender/server was very patient with me and allowed me to sample whatever wine I wanted—which was just what I needed in my system: more wine! He looked more of a beer drinker than a wino. I settled on the driest white wine, the Weirgut Schwarzebock Gruner Veltliner.
Ad Hoc
Geez, typing the wine’s name was just as hard as saying it out loud. The menu of the day was Little Gem Lettuce Salad, Grilled Pork T-bone, Beehive Cheese Co's Seahive, and Chocolate Pot de Créme.
Ad Hoc
As we waited for our salad, they gave us bread and butter. I was hoping that the butter would be flavored or creamier but I can’t believe it’s just butter.
Ad Hoc
The Little Gem Lettuce was delicious! I really enjoyed the fried shallots in the salad and also, the salad dressing was lightly drizzled.
Ad Hoc
The salad was a good light starter before the Grilled Pork T-Bones, which were insanely big!
Ad Hoc's Grilled Pork T-Bone
I’m picky on how my pork is prepared, so I’ll admit it I was a bit nervous when I saw Grilled T-Bones. I usually eat Porky Pig in the form of bacon, ham, dumplings or cooked dry shredded pork. I am happy to report the Grilled Pork T-Bone was amazing! It was juicy and not fatty at all.
Ad Hoc's Grilled Pork T-Bone
I loved the carrots and braised escarole. The flageolet beans w/ pickled cauliflower were not bad either.
Ad Hoc
The Beehive Cheese Co's Seahive and toasted brioche with raspberry jam helped cleaned the palate before the Chocolate Panna Cotta. Loved the cheese. I didn’t realized that Auntie Em’s Kitchen buys cheese from Beehive Cheese Co.
Ad Hoc
I got worried when I read the Chocolate Panna Cotta description: “marshmallow fluff and graham cracker crumble.” I’ve never cared S’mores. When it’s camping time and the kids are making S’mores, you will find me just eating the chocolate bar.
Ad Hoc
I was surprised to find the marshmallows were not as sweet as the marshmallows I’ve had in the past. It was not bad.

Nat barely made her flight but that's because I dropped her off and returned the car rental. As I was taking the elevator to the air train platform at the car rental building, a waspy couple complained about the stench of alcohol. I confessed that I was the wino who hung in Napa all day and that they would be smelling like grapes had they joined me. Some people just need to take a chill pill.

I had a blast at my friends' wedding, relaxing in wine country and dining at Ad Hoc was the perfect closing ceremony.


Address: 6476 Washington St., Yountville, CA 94599
Phone#: (707) 944-2487
Share Share

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails