Monday, May 24, 2010

Silverlake Jubilee Festival

Last weekend was the Silverlake Jubilee Festival, a smaller version of the Sunset Junction, mainly located on Myra Avenue, with three music stages, one stand-up stage, a shoo-loo of food trucks, and a few crafts merchandise vendors.
Silverlake Jubilee
Thanks to the Minty I got go to the Festival for flee last weekend. I was hoping her press badge got us more fleebies but it didn’t, and there was no real long line for us to flash her fancy badge. Anyways, let me rewind. I met up with the Minty outside of the Redline in the late afternoon. If you’re ever coming here again or attending Sunset Junction, I strongly suggest taking the Redline (stop at Vermont & Santa Monica). You don’t have to worry about parking, just the freaks on the subway.
Silverlake Jubilee
It took Minty awhile to get her badge. It felt like we were in the “Amazing Race” but in slow-mo. I had a hangover –not due to alcohol but from sleeping too much. I stayed in bed past NOON –the first for 2010. I know that’s crazy, I didn’t even do that on New Year’s Day after a night of debauchery; I woke up at ten, made myself a Bloody Mary and hiked at the Griffith Park. My brain was hazy and all I had for the day was coffee and a butter croissant but we found the treasure chest after our third location, Mi Alma Garden, where I bought a couple frescas (prices went up $1 from the last time I was there...) from Ricky’s Tacos, and got to pass go.
Silverlake Jubilee
We circled around the festival like hawks, figuring out which food trucks to hit up, what goods to buy, and which boys looked the best in skinny jeans (I’m just kidding, men, I mean boys, should never wear skinny jeans). The only alcohol they served was beer in the beer garden…you know just how much I love piss water… and the only green in the beer garden was the sign.
The Beer Garden...
I can’t believe beer was seven bucks! Suckers! I did noticed somone posted a tip on Foursquare to look out for drink tickets on the floor... We hit the Komodo truck first. Their garlic fries are sick—worth the five bucks! The Crepe'n Around truck was nearby and we just had to order their garlic fries to see which truck was better. Nicola joined in on the fun.
Crepe'n Around
Crepe ‘n Around garlic fries were ok, but they’re just not in the same league as the Komodo’s. Plus, I prefer skinny fries over regular fries. I will definitely have a crepe instead the next time around.
Crepe'n Around
We needed a caffeine reload and stopped by Intelligentsia. I love their ice mocha. It’s the best. Our third food truck was Uncle Lau’s. I tried to go for food trucks that I normally don’t see in front of the Variety building.
Uncle Lau's
One of the annoying things that the Minty pointed out was some trucks has a tendency to raise their prices at festivals. We noticed that Uncle Lau’s sweet potatoes fries are normally are $2 but at Silverlake Jubilee they were $3. WTH!?
Uncle Lau's not so honest...
I ordered the BBQ Beef Brisket slider. It was tasty, but would have been better if they served it with a Hawaiian bun after all Uncle Lau’s food supposedly from the “islands of Oahu and Maui.”
Uncle Lau's
Nicola had the Pulled Pork topped with Cole slaw slider which was not so good. It was salty.
Uncle Lau's
Our last food truck was Vesuvio, an Italian food truck.
Vesuvio
They sold out on Aracini (Italian rice balls) and the chicken parmesan sandwiches so I went with the meatballs sandwich. Unlike Uncle Lau’s, Vesuvio cut their prices. Half sandwiches were $2! However, they gave us a full sandwich…maybe they saw Minty’s press badge..?
Vesuvio
It was ok; it was $2 bucks. I can’t really complain since I don’t specialize in meatballs. I grew up on meatballs with carrots and whatever left over vegetables my mom could find. We ended the Silverlake Jubilee with drinks at Malo.
Malo
Good times!



Ricky’s Tacos
Stalk em here!

Komodo
Stalk em here!

Crepes’n Around
Stalk em here!

Intelligentsia Coffee & Tea
Address: 3922 West Sunset Blvd. LA, CA 90029
Phone: (323) 663-6173

Uncle Lau’s
Stalk em here!

Vesuvio
Stalk em here!

Malo
Address: 4326 W Sunset Blvd LA, CA 90029
Phone#: (323) 664-1011
Share Share

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails