Wednesday, May 6, 2009

THE GOLDEN STATE

Sandwiches and Sausages were the missing ingredients to the Fairfax district until the Golden State moved in. Ok you have Canter’s but that’s a 24 hour Jewish deli that serves e-v-e-r-y-t-h-i-n-g minus Chinese. It’s a new hippity hoppity simple eatery offering sandwiches and sausages. I lucked out finding a metered parking space in front of the joint. Had I came in the evening, I would have spent half an hour finding parking.

The Golden State’s interior is simple like the menu with high ceilings so if there are a lot of peeps I imagine you might need to shout…. You order at the counter and take a number. After reading all the reviews prior to heading to the Golden State, I knew I was going to order their burger, but was debating to order the regular fries or the sweet potato fries. The man behind the counter was a bit peeved at my most indecisive stage even though there was no one behind me. I also wanted to make sure I had room for Scoops ice cream –my favorite! It costs a bit more than heading to Scoops on Melrose --$2/scoop as opposed to $1/scoop but it’s still cheaper than Milk’s ice cream.

After pondering for 5 minutes which might have felt like an eternity for the worker, who could have saved me some time by letting me know that the sweet potato fries are not crispy…even though it’s “fried”… I went for regular fries. I hate yam. I can only eat sweet potato fries when it’s nicely coated with fat. Finally I had to decide which ice cream…I asked the man if they’re like Scoops where they give out samples. He was like, “Um, only if you actually end up buying ice cream.” He seemed to lack customer service. I wondered if he was the owner…I ended up with Triple Sec Raspberry.
DSC07359
The medium burger was more on the well done side, but it was still delicious. DSC07360
It comes with Harris Ranch beef, Fiscalini Farms cheddar, glazed applewood smoked acon, arugula, housemade aioli & ketchup. I really liked the bun—like a brioche style. The burger was a nice size –not too big and not too small. Since the burger came with one side, I don’t think $10 was unreasonably. I would still prefer to spend $12 at 25 Degrees for their massive burger and onion rings/fries. I do find their sausages overprice, which range from $7-8. You might as well go to Wurstkuche.

The fries were ok –nothing to rave about, but be sure not to forget to eat ‘em with their curry ketchup! Scoop’s Triple Sec Raspberry was yummalicious! The ice cream flavors change daily but if you see it, get it!

Address: 426 N Fairfax AveLos Angeles, CA 90036
Phone#: (323) 782-8331
Rating: 3.5 out of 5
Share Share

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails